There will be a moment in your first internship where it hits you. You start out knowing a decent amount of what you are doing, but not quite all of it. You ask questions and nod to show your understanding (even if you really don't understand it that well). After awhile, you ask less and less questions. You begin to start trying to figure out how software or equipment works. You soon are actually able to figure out how everything works.
And then eventually you stop having to try to figure things out. You know how the things work. You can handles doing tasks that once seemed impossible. You even begin to speak the lingo.
That moment, though I think was achieved weeks ago, has finally hit me. I don't ask a question about how to upload a new graphic or splice and cut away footage to use later. Those things have been pounded into my brain. I can even have a normal conversation with a photographer or videographer from another publication about technical aspects of the job.
The moment hit me when I was converting files to be uploaded to one of our sister video players. We couldn't find one of the files so I told my superiors I'd check archives and then do a reverse ingest of the file and convert it to the correct format. I then would drop the new file into a program called "Cyber Duck" and go to "Maven" to upload the new files. Yeah, two months ago my head would be spinning trying to remember each and every step. Now, it takes five minutes to do all of that.
My video editing skills have improved immensely. We use Avid video software at the Enquirer, and it can be a harrowing program to use at first. It would take me an hour to correctly lay an audio track when I first started. Now it takes a matter of minutes. They've told me I have natural ability to tell a story, but my technical side had to catch up. I think it finally has and I've been able to produce some great material.
Let me just tell you, when that moment finally hits you when you realize you actually know what the hell you're actually doing -- there's no better feeling in the world!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment