So, I know I was going to blog yesterday about my day but it was one of those days where I couldn't really find the free time to write. And those type of days are, in fact, the best kind of days. I love having one thing to do after another. It keeps my mind in the game and it keeps my creative juices flowing.
We began shooting the "Women of the Year" videos yesterday which has been pretty interesting. You really meet some great women that have done a lot of good things to help out the community. It took a lot of preparation to set up these, overall, very simple little pieces. You have to set up the proper background, sound and lighting. I'll tell you what, lighting is truly the most important piece to a video. You would not believe how much time we spend fussing over the lighting when we are in the studio. They also make a big deal about the way in which the cables are put on the floor. They want them wrapped in a certain fashion. They told me, "If you can wrap a cable correctly, you'll always have a job somewhere." I find it hard to believe that if that is my only talent, though, that the job I have will be very prosperous.
After setting up the studio, I was put on an assignment to get video of the Cincinnati Bengals stadium, Paul Brown Stadium. So I got my gear and headed out to different parts of the city to get as many different views and angles of the structure that I could get. I went to an area called Devou Park, which is an absolutely breathtaking part of the city. It's elevated thousands of feet over the city and you get the best view of Cincinnati that you will find anywhere (I guarantee it). When you go out on a video shoot on your own, make sure to get more than one shot from every angle just to give yourself or the editor a little freedom to pick from a selection. After my distance shots, I pulled up next to the stadium and got shots all around the place. As somewhat of a novice to video I find it hard sometimes to picture what I want to get from my shots but I think I have gotten better at it.
I arrived back at the Enquirer Building after my shoot just in time to assist with two "WOTY" video shoots. It truly is fun to be able to listen to these women talk about what they do and why they do it. The videos have looked great so far as well.
The next assignment involved having to ingest and begin editing raw video of the Cincinnati Reds' first day of spring training. One of our photographers is down in Florida covering the event and has been sending us tape after tape for us to put videos together. It's really cool to see how close of access the team gives our photographer. He is one of the more known in the field in Cincinnati so they really give him free reign to do his work.
Finally, I was sent four videos to convert from .wmv files to .flv files to be put on the Cincinnati.com Web site. So I did that and put together thumbnails and descriptions of each video.
By that time, it was already 6 p.m. and ready to head out. Like I said, it is amazing to be able to work all day and have nine hours fly by in the blink of an eye. Those are the type of days I hope to have when I finally find my "real job" after college.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment